Monday, January 2, 2012

Vegetarian - Vegan Children's Book Review

Book Review: "That's Why We Don't Eat Animals; A Book About Vegans, Vegetarians and All Living Things" by Ruby Roth




I must admit I was quite hesitant purchasing a children's book regarding the vegetarian and vegan lifestyle for my 8 y/o meat-eating son. I knew at the time my son was mature enough to handle certain information regarding the truth about factory farms but perhaps a PETA video would certainly prove to be too extreme and traumatic for such a young mind.


That being said, I am also an advocate on empowering children to make safe, responsible decisions on their own. I believe a child's autonomy is a crucial component to learning and experiencing the world around them first hand. However, in order to make just decisions children need to be provided with honest information. This also goes without saying in the matters of vegetarianism or veganism. My son was constantly inquiring during meals as to why I don't eat meat and the answer of "mommy feels bad for the animals" just wasn't cutting it anymore.


I came to the decision that hiding the truth from my son about how meat ends up in the supermarket was seriously unfair. Most children (and maybe even some adults) assume cows graze in the open fields of Vermont, hens lay eggs in straw nests and chickens are raised in beautiful red barns and then die of natural causes to then be shipped to our local food stores for us to purchase for meals.


I didn't even remotely want to become a part of a lie that had dire consequences on an animal's life not to mention the environment and a list of health issues associated with eating meat. It was to my delight that I heard about the book "That's Why We Don't Eat Animals; A Book About Vegans, Vegetarians and All Living Things" by Ruby Roth during an interview with Dr. Neal Barnard (Founder of Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine - PCRM). I read a slew of positive reviews on various websites and ordered the book the next day.


Here is what I have to say regarding the book:


This book is a MUST have for any vegetarian or vegan parent. The book is candid yet sympathetic to young readers. Beautiful tid-bits of information is given regarding each animal and their natural behaviors and habitats. It then gives upfront honest information regarding the unfair treatment of animals within factory farms. The illustration are just as straight forward but kind, able to conceal any over-the-top gruesomeness that would be inappropriate for a young reader.


As Jane Goodall had said during her review of the book: "It will make children - and their parents - think. But it will not lead to nightmares, rather respect and compassion for the creatures whose well-being is in our hands." I could not have said it any better.


This is an amazing book and I highly recommend it. For more information please visit:




As always please feel free to share your comments, questions and concerns with me!!

2 comments:

  1. We love that book! My little girls (7 and 8) love to read that book to anyone that comes over. People think I put them up to it...but no! It's just a good book...(with a great message).

    Hearing Mom talk about why we are vegan gets old very fast. This book allows me to just stop talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lemondrop!! I was wondering if I could email you about being a guest blogger on creatureszine.blogspot.com? Please email me @ thekarmakitchen@gmail.com , Thanky :)

    ReplyDelete